Lemon Seafood Risotto
This Apollo Health recipe is perfect with the KetoFLEX 12/3 meal plan! This one is so light, delicious, and simple.
- 2 tbsp high polyphenol extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tbsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1.5 cup onions, diced
- 40 oz cauliflower, riced (frozen is ok, just thaw beforehand)
- 3 cups of mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock + 4 tbsp
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (canned)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 12 oz large wild-caught shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed
- 2-3 tbsp filtered water
- 16 oz frozen, cooked mussels, thawed
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- 1 lemon, quartered for garnish
- Warm EVOO in a large skillet on medium heat. Add garlic and onions and stir until translucent, around 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, mushrooms, 1/2 cup of chicken stock, 1/2 cup of coconut milk (well blended) and the lemon juice, sea salt, and pepper. Periodically stir and allow to cook for 10-12 minutes.
- While that's cooking, make your thickening slurry. In a measuring cup, mix the 2 tbsp of tapioca flour, 4 tbsp of chicken stock, and 1 tbsp of nutritional yeast until well blended. Set aside.
- In a separate pan on medium/high heat, add 2-3 tbsp filtered water and place the thawed mussels into the skillet. Cover and cook until the shells open, around 5-7 minutes. (Discard any shells that don't open.)
- While the mussels are steaming, pour the thickening slurry into the original skillet. Stir to ensure that it's evenly distributed.
- Add the shrimp to the risotto mixture making contact with the surface. Cover and allow to cook for 5 minutes or until the shrimp are no longer translucent and have turned a solid white/pink color. By this time, the sauce will also have thickened.
- Once the mussels have opened, remove the pan from the heat.
- You have two serving options. You can individually prepare each plate or bowl (your choice) with a generous scoop of risotto, and artfully arrange the shrimp and mussels for each portion, or transfer the entire risotto and shrimp mixture to a large serving dish and place the mussels evenly throughout for a beautiful presentation.
- Before serving, sprinkle evenly with fresh lemon zest. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and 1/4 lemon.