Tofu Shiitake Stir-Fry
Who doesn’t love a good veggie stir fry? This Apollo Health recipe has an abundance of vegetables, healthy fats, plant proteins, and prebiotic fiber to make your body feel good! This one-pan dish is a breeze to make once all the chopping is done.
Servings: 5 servings
- 10 oz organic extra firm tofu
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp high polyphenol extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced thin
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped (separate white and green parts)
- 4 large garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 cups sliced carrots, sliced into matchsticks
- 5-6 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 10 cups napa cabbage, sliced into thin strips (separate stems from green leafy parts)
- 12 oz hearts of palm pasta (cut into 4-5 inch pieces; angel hair variety is recommended)*
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt (divided)
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 3 tsp thick balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients.
- Cut the tofu block in half, lengthwise, then slice each half in ½ inch slices.
- Place sliced tofu in a flat bottom dish and pour marinade over the tofu. Gently press the tofu to get marinade well distributed. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Prepare finishing sauce.
- Prepare vegetables.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of EVOO in your largest stainless-steel skillet or wok, pre-heated to medium heat.
- Place your tofu in one layer in the skillet and sear until golden then carefully flip and cook until golden. You may need to cook more than one batch depending on the size of your pan. Set cooked tofu aside while cooking your vegetables.
- In the same skillet, add 2 more tbsp of EVOO. Sauté the garlic, ginger, red pepper, and white parts of scallions. Add a ¼ tsp salt and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Add the stems of the cabbage and carrots to your pan and continue stir frying until the cabbage stems begin to get tender. Add the leafy parts of the cabbage, shiitake, and hearts of palm pasta and green onion tops, reserving some for garnish. Lightly toss the veggies then lower the heat to medium-low and cover with a lid. Cook until the cabbage turns soft, but not mushy (about 3-4 mins). You want your cabbage leaves to still be bright green.
- Add back the tofu and pour in your finishing sauce after remixing it. Toss everything together, salt to taste and garnish with the remaining green onion tops. Serve hot or at room temperature.