Prep Time: 10 minutes, Cook Time: 20 minutes. (6 servings)
- 1 bunch (about 1 pound) of carrots with carrot tops, washed
- 1 teaspoon + 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons walnuts (or sunflower seeds for tree nut free option)
- ½ cup fresh basil (both leaves and stems)
- 1-2 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Trim carrot tops off and set aside for later.
- Cut carrots into ¼” coin shaped slices.
- Toss carrots and 1 teaspoon of olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden. Let cool.
- Pulse garlic and walnuts in a food processor until it forms a paste.
- Add basil (leaves & stems) and washed carrot tops; process until smooth. Add the rest of the olive oil and pulse until combined; season with salt and pepper.
- Toss roasted carrots with pesto. Serve warm or cold.