Okinawa Pickled Vegetables
Prep Time: 15 minutes, Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1 pound fresh vegetables (radishes, carrots, squash)
- 1 cup vinegar (white, apple cider or rice)
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp kosher or sea salt
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 springs fresh herbs (thyme, dill, rosemary)
- 1 tsp dried herbs or ground spices
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 jalapeño peppers
- Wash and dry all vegetables and thinly slice into desired shapes and sizes. Evenly distribute vegetables into 2 wide-mouth jars and add optional herbs, spices, peppers, and garlic.
- Prepare the brine by adding the vinegar, water, salt, and sugar to a small saucepan and bringing to a boil. Stir until salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Once boiling, remove the brine from heat and pour over vegetables. Once the jars cool store in the refrigerator. The pickling will improve with age – the longer you wait, the better they are! Aim for 48 hours before opening. Seal jar and refrigerate for up to 2 months.