Minestrone alla Genovese
An exclusive recipe direct from The Longevity Diet book and Dr. Valter Longo1.
Ligurian Minestrone (Minestrone alla Genovese)
- 3-4 cups water or low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 1 medium potato, cubed
- 1 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 peas
- 1.5 cups green beans, washed, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, cut in half
- 1.5 cups dry pasta, any shape
- 2 tablespoons of N4L Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon pesto
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring 3-4 cups of water or vegetable broth to a boil in a large pot.
- Chop your vegetables into cubed, bite-sized pieces and add to the pot once boiling along with the beans, garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the soup for about 45 minutes, the potatoes should be fork tender. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions or until al dente.
- When the pasta is cooked, stir in the olive oil and pesto, remove the pot from heat. Serve warm and enjoy!
Suggested side dish: Salad with mixed greens and a fresh squeeze of lemon and a piece of nice, crusty rustic bread
Suggested dessert: fresh, seasonal fruit like grapes
- Dr Valter, L., 2016. The Longevity Diet. Penguin Random House LLC, p.234.