Southern Vegetable Stew
Cooking Tip · Dietitian · Dinner · Entrée · Family Meals · Foodies · Health · Lifestyle ·
Cold days call for a hot meal to keep you warm! This southern vegetable stew is the perfect meal to make when you're craving something warm and comforting!
1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable broth paste
- 1/3 cup potatoes, cubed
- 2/3 cup squash, cubed
- 1/3 cup eggplant, cubed
- 1/3 cup tomato, chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup white beans, drained and rinsed
- Chili flakes, to taste
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- Prep the vegetables: clean and chop the vegetables into medium cubes, set aside. Mince the garlic and onion, set aside.
- Make the broth: Combine 8 ounces or one cup of boiling water with 2 teaspoons of vegetable broth paste. Stir well to combine, set aside on low heat. low heat.
- Sauté the vegetables: In a medium to large pot on medium heat, add oil and when hot add the potatoes and sauté until lightly browned., about 3-4 minutes. Add the remaining vegetables , beans and chili pepper flakes and sauté for about 3-5 minutes.
- Make the stew: Add one cup of the prepared broth to the sautéed vegetables, cover and simmer until most of the liquid is cooked down or absorbed about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat, add basil and salt, and serve warm.
- Add chicken or fish if desired.
Serving: 1 3/4 cup Calories: 430 Fat: 14 g Protein: 14 g Carbs: 53 g